<body>

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Thailand

Quick update about Phnom Penh...because I don't think I have explained this enough before.

A) I no longer work at the CCF, which was my original destination in Cambodia.

B) I am a freelance travel journalist who works for the cambodia pocket guide. www.cambodiapocketguide.com Articles up there soon.

C) I teach the second grade at a school called home of english international.

D) I work a few nights at www.pontoonlounge.com Its a here and there sort of gig...and I love it!

And...on to the exciting stuff.

I arrived today in Thailand with my mother who has spent the past week in Phnom Penh cursing my lifestyle. Which, I do not blame her for. I mean, Phnom Penh isn't exactly the safest and most easy city to navigate. And I think my motorbike *coughcyclecough* is obviously not first on the list for my mother or father. Since they have more than once expressed the fact that motorcyle and makenna equals no more held attached to my name. (in other words...pack your things and realize you are on your own). Their worries are not unfounded. But truth be told in Cambodia...its kind of the way things work. And its pretty much the safest way (and cheapest way) to get me from point a to point b. So no packing of this girls bags for now.

All that aside....This weekend in the Penh (as us AWESOME expats call it) there is this massive festival called The Water Festival. Phnom Penh is a city of 1 million Cambodians...During the water festival its a city of 2.2 million Cambodians. Think Kalachakra Initiation meets Burning Man which meets Holi. AND BLAMO!!! Water Festival. Add a lot of booze (guess that is covered in the Burning Man anology) and mix well.

So instead of trying to get my mother on a plane in Cambodia during this god forsaken mass of humanity, we decided to ditch town and head to Thailand. We arrived today in the land where Britney Spears and beer flow cheaply and furiously from every direction. Cheap clothing is found around every corner, and sex shows are available every few corners. In two days we head to the beach in search of peace and inner bliss. And well a whole lot of good sun and beer.

Nothing has changed in the backpacker haven of Khao San Road. Everything is pretty much in the same place it was when I was here last. What a surprise.

But its nice to be back here...I was in CIVILIZATION AGAIN!!! I had a starbucks and a mcdonalds and we are going to see a movie. These are things I haven't seen in three months. Yeah...Developing country for three months. No movie theatres anywhere...no fast food...and no real coffee. But honestly...I can't wait to get back to the Penh.

1 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

Wow! Just found the time to hit your blog... Sounds like a 3rd world country!Is Phnom Pehn like Bangkok - big, crowded, polluted, noisy???? How fun that your mother was brave enough to come visit you and experience a totally different lifestyle! I am sure she'll tell us about it soon. Isn't your S O coming to live with you soon? Keep up the chatter, I love to travel vicariously. Love, Jeanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home