<body>

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Philly Cheesesteak and Mountain Dew

Thats right. I am smack dab in the middle of the developing world eating a philly cheesesteak, dipping fries in ranch dressing, and drinking mountain dew. These are all things I haven't seen in over a month. All I can say is that this is the first time in my life I have ever praised the american military openly...since the bar is owned and operated by an ex marine. BUT SWEET JESUS!!!! Mountain dew!

Also available here is Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Guiness, and Cooler Ranch Doritos. The doritos? FOUR DOLLARS FOR A NORMAL SIZE BAG! As much as the idea of eating real american tortilla chips coated in fake flavor sounds appealing...won't spend that kind of cash on a bag of chips. Considering my meal is the same price.

As much as I have loved Khmer food...there is only so much rice with fish broth you can eat.

In other news: I was hit by a moto twice in one day. First Time I was walking from one side of the road to the other, I was five feet from the curb and I was SIDESWIPED six feet from the curb side (where traffic should have been coming at me from the front) by a moto coming FROM BEHIND. He went between me an the curb. Wasn't injured, just was barely touched. But still! What an idiot. Then later in the evening I was going to my local bar to meet some friends, it was within walking distance...but its better not to walk anywhere at night around here. I argued with a moto driver about his price. He wanted a dollar. I found a moto driver who would do the 15 second drive for 500 riel (aka FIFTEEN cents). So I hoped on moto driver number 2 and moto driver number one got pissed and decided to half-hit his moto into the one I ended up getting on. To say the least that was a strange day.

Another strange day was when I went into a bar and asked for a lemon drop shot. Easy enough...LEMON VODKA!!! With sugar and a slice of lemon. What did I get? Vodka mixed with water in a glass with ice. Oh language barriers.

I am attempting to learn the language. Khmer. But its not exactly easy. Since every single word sounds like a gluttural yelp of some sort.

My appartment is starting to SLOWLY feel like a home. Thanks to some comfy rattan couches. (Think Popazon chairs but bigger, and 20 bucks) A water hyacinth rug. And a wrought iron gecko that is wearing an orange robe kind of like a monk. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home