<body>

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Making the most of everything

I never thought in a million years that working a 5pm to 3am shift at a bar, which is found in every lonely planet guide that has ever been published about malaysia, would be fun. Nor did I think i would be so happy to make such small sums of cash EVER!!! But i have to say, working at Reggae Bar in Kuala Lumpur is amazing.

Today I moved out of my ridiculously priced hotel (read: 20 bucks a night) to a beautiful simple guesthouse called Le Village (also a Lonely Planet traveler favorite). It costs me 5 dollars a night for two beds on the first floor (not the ground floor), a fan, a wash machine, free coffee, and the nicest malaysian manager ever. He is pleasant and watches my room, specifically, like a hawk. The other backpacker, Tommy from Germany, who works at Reggae bar suggested it. Its heaven. There is a rooftop patio, lots of common hanging out areas, and hell, I am meeting people.

A bit about Tommy...He is my backpacking soul mate. At 14 he had awful melanoma and since then decided life is too short to live. He's a rough and tumble guy, who used to be a model, and now travels...exclusively. He stays in one place for a while and then trades it in for a "better model" in a new country. he has done this off and on for quite a few years. He has a degree in business, and has owned four companies. To say the least...he is fantastic. he's 24 and seen more of the world than most 80 year olds. Color me "friend smitten".

I had forgotten how much I love rugged, smelly backpacking travel where my only hope against bed bugs are my travel sheets and where the walls are so thin everyone hears your business.

Folks, this is my heaven. I never knew that dead exhausted, smelly, cheap, making no money for hours of work (at the bar i make a dollar an hour!!!!), free beer, and good company of random strangers made me so happy. But damn, it does.

But i am not going to lie...i could use a five hour nap before my shift starts in an hour and half.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home